• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BringTheBoom's Trialmin Application // Bert Sea
Information 
Byond Account: BringTheBoom

Character Name(s): Bert Sea, Chemist Extraordinaire 

Discord Name: BringTheBoom#6172

Timezone: UK/GMT+1

Active hours: Work full time, however play most evenings between 6pm-12am

How long have you played SS13: 3 Years, approx 1k hours total centred around TG stations.

Do you have any experience as an administrator for SS13? Not on SS13, however have actively Administered//Moderated other niche game servers.

Tell us why you think you'd make a good administrator on this server: 

TL;DR Have endlessly enjoyed participating with this community and I am seeking a viable method to improve player engagement in a viable OOC sense.

Oracle was my first true server that I found a place in, and after them pulling the plug on that I wandered somewhat aimlessly until I found Fulp. At first it felt chaotic, even compared to Oracle. Everyone dying to Kudzu or SM delam, however in time I grew to love the tide and saw what I have been missing in servers elsewhere. 

In the day, without saying too much, I work in a fashion that requires me to take tickets from other staff members that cannot resolve a problem and seek and find a technical solution that follows corporate policy and provides customer satisfaction. I am trusted with a range of tools that I must utilise without overcompensating the customer.

As an Administrator, I like to believe that I would rather organise an IC resolution to a problem where I feel as though an OCC resolution may not be required. An example of this happening to me was my first captain round on a station. I was a shambles, and before long, CentCom sent an investigator to oust me. Sure they could have removed me, however they saw my incompetence and engaged with a observer to provide an IC, interesting method of resolving what I now understand myself to have been, a Condom.

Happy to get a big no on this, just looking to provide more hours of administration over UK/European players.
note for prosperity: this was migrated from a different forum with a different template.

I'm looking to get more input from other staff about you but from what I know of you, you seem like a pretty good member of the community. This request was logged some time ago so if you're not interested anymore that is fine.

I'm interested in what other games you've moderated for.

Also, while we do recognize that things can be chaotic now, the idea of getting more staff is to hopefully lessen that. We hope to make our mark in ways that don't involve non-antags murdering other non-antags.
Hey, It's good to hear back from yourselves. I still check this post on the regular for a reply.

Games I've moderated include :-

Minecraft, cringe I know however this was not one of those tiny group of friends private server. It was a 30-70 pop server and was the first position that entrusted me with game changing powers whilst still allowing me to play the same game. Relevant as it means not just changing the shift to give self antag etc just because I'm not enjoying it.

Rust, similar toxicity but less involved with gameplay and more involved with ghosting and making sure that people are not cheating or abusing rules etc.

I have personally noticed that the server, as the "tiders" age and get more experience, are not being utterly destroyed by non sentient space weeds.

Will continue to listen out on here for a reply, but best bet is to contact me via my verified Discord.
My first moderation experience was with minecraft. Went on to own and run/co-run a couple larger servers. No hate there brother.

Anyway, as part of the moderation application process we want to ask some questions to see how you respond to some of the issues we run into as moderators on the station.
Here are some questions! Please think about them a bit and consider what you know about the game and our rules to come to conclusions. I recommend checking our currently posted rules, and reference them in your answers when applicable!

Q1
A player is killed by an antag, and assumes it is a murderbone. They are increasingly stubborn and refuse to believe that the player was allowed to kill them.
How would you deduce if the antag is in the wrong?

Q2
A miner acquires the Rage potion from a lavaland chest. They use it when they are about to be arrested by sec officers. The officers kill some people when affected by the rage potion, and the victims of that event ahelp claiming the sec officers murderboned them. What do you do to find a reasonable resolution to this?

Q3
Assistant beats the clown to crit with a toolbox. When questioned why, they claim that the clown slipped them.
The logs say that they were indeed slipped by the clown, but that the clown did not strip or attack them beside that. What do you do?
Genuinely interesting questions here.

Q1
A player is killed by an antag, and assumes it is a murderbone. They are increasingly stubborn and refuse to believe that the player was allowed to kill them.
How would you deduce if the antag is in the wrong?

Firstly, unless they are utilising conspicuous and obvious means, I'll do my best to not confirm the antag's status. You never know when a player may be revived and what information they may carry with them.
It's always useful to politely check with the antag themselves and check their objectives and if they was not a target try and ask why. Perhaps person A was a witness and needed to be silenced, perhaps they was in the way of a devious plan to take out their target. Context context context.
Checking player notes is always worthwhile, a known griefer/murderboner is always that bit more suspect however it's important to remain open minded.
I'm not sure if logs could ever really show direct intent in this situation. Getting a fair idea of story from both sides is important, hence the term "moderator".

Griefing is not allowed right here. 
[b]Admins are the boss should also be noted. They should politely be reminded to treat all members of staff with respect.[/b]

Q2
A miner acquires the Rage potion from a lavaland chest. They use it when they are about to be arrested by sec officers. The officers kill some people when affected by the rage potion, and the victims of that event ahelp claiming the sec officers murderboned them. What do you do to find a reasonable resolution to this?

A Miner's favourite. I remember my first rage potion.
Rage potions have a specific IC effect. Make everyone else kill everyone else. It's understandable for people to f1 this if they are unsure of the potions effects. Best thing to do in this case so as to not point out who caused it is to inform them that what happened was not breaking the rules. Explain in OOC after the game if people are still pestering.

Q3
Assistant beats the clown to crit with a toolbox. When questioned why, they claim that the clown slipped them.
The logs say that they were indeed slipped by the clown, but that the clown did not strip or attack them beside that. What do you do?

Assistant here is very much in the wrong. Tiders gonna tide and all that.
Checking the assistant notes is step one, along with their play time. I feel it important to note that these sorts of things are as much an IC issue as they are an OC issue. Security are hired to deal with people like this.
A quick 'Bwoink' to the assistant asking why he did that and explaining him it was not okay should normally work as a warning. If they are particularly rude then I may decide to give them some random brain trauma for their troubles.
If they continue to show signs of murdering at first chance and outright station unfriendly behaviour then a temp ban as per server rules, along with a detailed set of notes should be enough.
I very much understand that any bans I make must be fair and defend-able, but I also must be open to peer review.

Griefing is not allowed right here. 
[b]Do not act as an antagonist when not one - if you are a jerk you might be permabrigged. If you are just completely horrible,[b] you’ll be banned.  [/b][/b]
Good answers here. Some feedback:

Q1: In most cases, if you tell them anything aside "yeah that was fucked up he shouldn't have done that milord here have a revive" they'll assume the person was antag. At this point we need to keep close watch on the victim so that we can enforce cloning memory disorder if applicable.

Q2: Depending on where and in what context the Rage potion was used, we may need to warn the miner.

Q3: I like that you thought to check if they were new. Generally, if something can be solved IC without our intervention, that's good and preferable. If we have to, we intervene.

I'll have some of the other staff read your replies and will allow other feedback here for a couple of days.
I liked your answers to the questions, I don't see much wrong with them. Just keep in mind what Wind said about Q2, depending on the where and why the Miner could be in the wrong.

I've also seen you around a lot on the Discord and I haven't personally had any problems with you or seen anyone else have problems with you.

I'm in favor of giving you mod!
With regards to question two, I echo the sentiment of checking the miner antag status. I made a few assumptions and one of them happened to be the miner was an antag and instead addressed the question directly as "how do you handle the people complaining about the event" rather than how do you handle it as a whole.

What Wind described in and of itself is more akin to the full process, however I only handled the "angry dead/ooc chat" part of it.