Your OOC name (byond username):
Zaffinomlb
Your in-game name (Used most or at the time):
Char Manfred
Your Discord username and #tag:
Treize#7539
Approximate Time of Ban (Give your best estimate. Used for investigation):
2019-11-07 12:11:30
Ban Reason/Message (Copy paste or screenshot of the ban screen with round ID, banning admin visible):
Picture
State your appeal (Please limit to 500 words or less): 

At the time I personally had to leave, I had been waiting some time for the wife to be ready so we could go errands. The station has several responsive command staff including a HOP which was told he was not in charge as acting captain. I left my corpse in the care of the CMO who I felt was trustworthy. I would have chosen the HOS but alas we did not have one. 7 day is not only grossly absurd but border on admin abuse. I can only assume this was a reprisal because said banning admin has smited my person early into the round for offending them IC.

Kind Regards,

Char Manfred 

P.S. I have spoken with another server admin about the matter and they concluded that the matter "seems out of hand". Then encouraged me to make this ban appeal.
Real Life > Videogames, any day of the week. Banning someone for leaving a game sets a ridiculous and dangerous precedent for anyone with a life outside of SS13. Not everyone can be a greasy gamer like the rest of us. I'm not an admin, nor a regular SS13 player, but this is BS.
Suicides as heads of command are a real mixed bag when it comes to punishment. I know DoublasM2 got permabanned over suicide as HoS, whereas I only got a note for suicide as captain. I feel like there needs to be some agreement with admins over this matter so you dont get the differences between these three situations in future. Plus, the lack of cryogenic storage on this server means that when someone needs to disconnect, it usually ends in them either going SSD, catatonic or committing suicide.
honk
(11-07-2019, 09:20 PM)AtlasRules87 Wrote: Suicides as heads of command are a real mixed bag when it comes to punishment. I know DoublasM2 got permabanned over suicide as HoS, whereas I only got a note for suicide as captain. I feel like there needs to be some agreement with admins over this matter so you dont get the differences between these three situations in future.
Well it really depends on how you do it doesn't it? Was it done in a way that fucks the round over by giving shitter assistants all access or do you do it in a respondable way that is in line with the Chain of Command and rules of succession of captaincy. Well the thing is I did everything I should have in such a situation to allow the game to progress without me. 
A: I informed HoP of his command
B: I make sure a shitter didnt have my body nor access and that encase of HOP being unfit for command gave access to I person I knew was capable.

On top of all that, the banning admin in question had an IC non-verbal argument with me as "centcom" over my choice in station names and went as far as to smite me. So this seems like someone on a power trip if anything over nothing. 7 Days seems to indicate that.
Regarding heads in the future, its better to ahelp and let us know you need to go as a head. Its quick and only needs to be something like 'ssd'.

Suicide means the round could go without a captain in this case for quite a while and we may not even notice, and I'm sure you can understand the ramifications of it on the shift.

Obviously life comes first, just give us a quick heads up as to what your intentions are whether ssd or promotion, etc.
[Image: 8SOCkdc.gif]
(11-07-2019, 11:49 PM)Misdoubtful Wrote: Regarding heads in the future, its better to ahelp and let us know you need to go as a head. Its quick and only needs to be something like 'ssd'.

Suicide means the round could go without a captain in this case for quite a while and we may not even notice, and I'm sure you can understand the ramifications of it on the shift.

Obviously life comes first, just give us a quick heads up as to what your intentions are whether ssd or promotion, etc.
The reason there are lines of succession for captaincy means that this is a meaningless null issue. If there is no captain for whatever reason then the HOP is captain. If there is no HOP for whatever reason then one of the 4 department heads of staff are then the captain.
*"For whatever reason" can include but are not limited to; death, AWOL, suicide, SSD.
You are eroding the core function of the game by trying to regulate this. Role-playing. There are countless meaningful interactions that can happen because of this kind of situation. Just because said situations aren't carefully curtailed to your image of what the game should be doesn't make them any less valuable to the core idea of the game. You are railroading people with rules like this regardless if you realize it or not. Speaking from a D&D prospective there is nothing worse for meaningful and fun content then handcuffing your player-base and being a railroading GM. Don't limit people when it come to choices they can make with their own self and body. My body, my choice.

Do you think a 7 day ban that is being upheld is reasonable. Do you really think that the said 7 day ban has nothing to do with the offending admin meta-grudging their IC problem into OOC?

This is an issue that has yet to have been resolved.
(11-08-2019, 08:08 PM)zaffinomlb Wrote:
(11-07-2019, 11:49 PM)Misdoubtful Wrote: Regarding heads in the future, its better to ahelp and let us know you need to go as a head. Its quick and only needs to be something like 'ssd'.

The reason there are lines of succession for captaincy means that this is a meaningless null issue. If there is no captain for whatever reason then the HOP is captain. If there is no HOP for whatever reason then one of the 4 department heads of staff are then the captain.
*"For whatever reason" can include but are not limited to; death, AWOL, suicide, SSD.
You are eroding the core function of the game by trying to regulate this. Role-playing. There are countless meaningful interactions that can happen because of this kind of situation. Just because said situations aren't carefully curtailed to your image of what the game should be doesn't make them any less valuable to the core idea of the game. You are railroading people with rules like this regardless if you realize it or not. Speaking from a D&D prospective there is nothing worse for meaningful and fun content then handcuffing your player-base and being a railroading GM. Don't limit people when it come to choices they can make with their own self and body. My body, my choice.

Do you think a 7 day ban that is being upheld is reasonable. Do you really think that the said 7 day ban has nothing to do with the offending admin meta-grudging their IC problem into OOC?

While it's true there is a chain of command in case the captain becomes unfit to lead, it doesn't give them a pass to SSD at roundstart as their body still exists and can be looted or otherwise manipulated, as opposed to if there was no captain at all. Not to mention that people might question the chain of command if they know a captain does exist but are not aware that they are SSD. (If the captain is killed by someone else, of course, that is an IC issue and is not violating the rules.)

In an attempt to fit in with your analogy (I don't play D&D often), imagine if, during a boss fight, one of your most powerful players has to step out and leave the session. While in D&D you might just call off the session for now or pretend the player's character doesn't exist anymore, we don't have that luxury in SS13, making someone of great importance leaving the game unannounced and at roundstart a very big issue.
(11-09-2019, 12:13 AM)Shadowtail117 Wrote:
(11-08-2019, 08:08 PM)zaffinomlb Wrote:

While it's true there is a chain of command in case the captain becomes unfit to lead, it doesn't give them a pass to SSD at roundstart as their body still exists and can be looted or otherwise manipulated, as opposed to if there was no captain at all. Not to mention that people might question the chain of command if they know a captain does exist but are not aware that they are SSD. (If the captain is killed by someone else, of course, that is an IC issue and is not violating the rules.)

In an attempt to fit in with your analogy (I don't play D&D often), imagine if, during a boss fight, one of your most powerful players has to step out and leave the session. While in D&D you might just call off the session for now or pretend the player's character doesn't exist anymore, we don't have that luxury in SS13, making someone of great importance leaving the game unannounced and at roundstart a very big issue.
Within the framework of what I did your argument does not apply.

Secondly your lack of faith in peoples ability to role play is sad.
I'm simply expanding on the flavor text when joining the round as a head or AI that states to ahelp due to it being an important role.

You are correct this is a roleplaying experience, but as a loose example if people try to setup say a DND game and players just don't show up (They suicide in an office), what happens? It negatively impacts the experience for everyone.

Was this worth 7 days? Probably not, and maybe a heads up notice (A message that you see the next time you log) to clear up the situation on how to approach it in the future woulda been the way to go.

Seeing as this came directly from a previous note I left I'm gonna redact this ban, and should have when you first made your appeal in all honesty. Fault is mine for not taking care of that.
[Image: 8SOCkdc.gif]